To visit a school web site click on its photo above.
Welcome to the South Bend Alumni Association
Saturday, March 8, 2014.
The latest edition of Alumnews, our semi-annual alumni newsletter, is now available on-line. Click the link at the left side of this page to view the eight-page publication. If you would like a copy of Alumnews, contact the SBAA office. We ask for a $2 donation to cover the cost of postage and handling.
Spring is Coming, Really! Save the New Golf Outing Date
The always popular Superintendent’s Golf Outing will be held May 21st at Elbel Golf Course. Put together your foursome early for a great day on the links! Or plan to be a Hole Sponsor. Proceeds from this event support annual scholarships for graduates of South Bend Community School Corporation High Schools. We look forward to seeing you in May! This year we have two team options: Varsity ($600 – includes green fees, carts and hole sponsor signage) and a special All-Star package ($650 – includes the Varsity perks, plus four mulligans and the Skins Game).
Another Successful Community Hall of Fame Banquet!
A stellar class of honorees was inducted into the Community Hall of Fame at the 27th annual banquet and induction ceremonies on Tuesday, November 12th at Century Center in downtown South Bend. The Alumni Association is proud to lift up these individuals who have distinguished themselves and our city through their careers and their personal lives. Coming from many different backgrounds and making their marks in many different fields, they reflect the rich mosaic of talent, leadership and commitment which makes our community vibrant, caring and successful. Inductees are permanently enshrined on the Wall of Fame along the south entry into our convention center, where residents and visitors can learn about our proud history of innovation, creativity, philanthropy, volunteerism and community service. Make plans to join us next November to celebrate the extraordinary contributions of our 28th class of inductees and award winners.
The Alumni Association maintains a collection of old yearbooks that are used for reference in our office. If we have extra copies, we offer them for sale to those who want to replace a lost or discarded book from the past. However, we are missing some books, and we would like to complete our inventory. We will accept any yearbooks you want to donate to us, but we particularly are seeking the following:
- Adams High School — 1966, 1993, and all books after 1995.
- Clay (and Washington Clay) – 1938, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943 and 2013
- LaSalle — 1982, 1996, 1997
- Riley — 1955, 1960, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2009, and all books after 2010
- Washington — 1951, 1952, 1955, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and all books after 2007
- Other Schools — We have a very limited collection of books from Greene, North Liberty, Wilson and other former area high schools. Any books you have from schools that no longer exist would be greatly appreciated. We also accept books from elementary and middle schools, and we even have a few from outside the SBCSC, such as St. Joseph’s High School and the former St. Mary’s Academy.
Attention Alumni of Adams High School
A member of the Class of 1951 stopped by the school recently to say that the class is no longer having reunions, and they would like to donate left-over money to the school. After several meetings, they decided to contribute to a project to erect an eletronic sign in front of the school. If other classes would like to participate in the effort, they will be recognized on an engraved plaque that will be part of the sign. For information, stop by the school and see Principal Otha Reese or Secretary Barbara Burns. Either can be reached at (574) 283-7700. Or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any checks should be made out to John Adams High School, attention Otha Reese.
Association keeps you in touch with your former high school classmates, and also helps to support students currently enrolled in South Bend’s public schools. Among our services and programs …..
- We offer assistance with reunion planning
- We provide college scholarships
- We sponsor an annual golf tournament to raise scholarship funds
- We sponsor the South Bend Community Hall of Fame
- We provide funds for school programs that do not receive tax dollars, and often require community service in return
- We have a collection of old high school yearbooks and might be able to replace yours if lost
- We have a monthly Lunch Club that allows former classmates and Association members to gather and keep in touch
Memberships dues are $25 for two years, or $75 for a life membership. Contact the Alumni Office at (574) 283-8153 for more information, or look at the links on the left side of this page for details about our specific programs and offerings.
NEW! Register on-line for Membership. Click here!
WE DO NEED YOUR HELP!
You can help to make this site informative and interesting. Please submit your photos and news items about yourself, your classmates, your activities and your memories. If we don’t have a ’page’ location to post it we will create one. Surf through the menu at the left and see what your Alumni Association is about. We want you to be proud of your school and community and to become a part of its legacy.
As our site grows, we plan to include more information about each high school ( past and present) and we hope someday soon to add a directory of members.
We would like your opinions on how we can improve this site. All you have to do is hit the e-mail button above on the menu bar and write your suggestions.